Thursday, August 17, 2017

Best of Utah: The 44th annual Springville Quilt Show (2)

This annual Springville quilt show is a juried exhibition that features quilts of all styles and sizes created by some of Utah's finest quilters. This is our third year attending the show and the quality of the work is outstanding. Here are some of our favorites!
NOTE:We are now a "Top Rated Seller" on eBay... check out the great bargains at our eBay store , and for continual free patterns, please visit us on  Twitter.

Eyes Into the Soul by Marian Eason


An Award of Excellence winner, Marian writes, " I found this image of a snowy owl [to be] mesmerizing. The eyes drew me in, and I also felt I was being "looked into" by the owl. I used raw edge applique and machine quilting." This stunning work  reflects the owl's intense and stately dignity.

Detail, Eyes Into the Soul


Here you can see some of the fantastic quilting that Marian did, especially around the owl's eyes. Marian notes that her work reflects upon Travis Bowman's poem "Owl", which begins,
"Eyes of night,
Silent flier through dark skies,
 Lend me your vision that I might
 Find my way to secret knowledge."

Lorna's Vine by Katherine Porter , quilted by Virginia Gore


Another Award of Excellence winner, "Katherine writes, This quilt, designed by Becky Goldsmith, is one of the few designs where I have not changed a thing. I had mixed feelings when [it] was finished, as it had been my travel project for the past few years. The vine blocks were small, so it was....convenient to always have one ready to go with me."
The Lorna's Vine pattern is from the book Amish Inspired Quilts by Piece o' Cake Designs.

Detail, Lorna's Vine


Katherine continues, "In the end, I am loving it more as a beautiful finished quilt than a constant travel companion." This artist has achieved a sophisticated and elegant light-and-shadow effect by using monochromatic tones of taupe, tan, and cocoa brown for the leaves of the vine against a pretty warm-hued background.

Canosa Helmet by Nanette Sturgill


Nanette explains, "The appliqued design was taken from an Italian military helmet that was discovered [in a tomb in Canosa di Puglia, southern Italy]. An estimated date of the helmet was approximately 325 B.C."

Detail, Canosa Helmet


We appreciate Nanette's excellent workmanship in both quilting the background and appliqueing the delicate scroll motifs on this artistic quilt.

Summer Fun by Karen Phillips, quilted by Linda Meier


Karen remarks, "I wanted to use up some of my stash, and this was a perfect way to do it." We recognize this design as the Garden Party quilt by Laura Heine.

Detail, Summer Fun


Karen has chosen a spectacular palette of summer shades that resemble flavors of ice cream sorbet like pink grapefruit, blueberry, lemon, lime, mango, and peach. There are many beautiful floral prints and Kaffe Fassett fabrics in Karen's quilt.

Joy in the Journey by Anna Marie Neider


Anna Marie states, " I love the variety of this quilt ! It provided an opportunity to use as many fabrics as possible, in unexpected way and in unique blocks. I could not see the end from the beginning, but I enjoyed the journey." We recognize this design as a variation of the Gypsy Wife Quilt by Jen Kingwell.

Detail, Joy in the Journey


Anna Marie's work was longarm quilted by Quilts on the Corner in Sandy, Utah. These gently undulating waves of stitching provide a very pleasing complement to the angular geometric patterns of this contemporary, vibrantly colored patchwork.

My Happy Village by Gilda Wonson, quilted by Barbara Cook


Gilda notes,  "This quilt represents the small town where we live. People are friend and really care about each other. Our town seems like a close family. I love it."  These bright, cheery colors exemplify Gilda's happy feelings about life in her town.

Detail, My Happy Village


Gilda has created an intriguing and interesting three-dimensional effect by braiding and knotting the trunk and branches of the tree in the center of her quilt.

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love all of these today! That owl is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work in the white owl is just fabulous! Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every one of these is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every quilt a true piece of art . . . I am in awe at the talent shown here.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since I am an owl person, you know that one caught my eye right away. I also travel with handwork so I can relate to the image of a constant travel companion progressing to a real quilt. These are all splendid and inspiring ... even to a hand quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing so many beautiful quilts, the owl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails